Monday, November 17, 2008

Three Things

Okay, second thing*: Funny story - a few nights ago Gavin was up around 1am and I was nursing him. He has been congested at night recently, so he sounded like he was snoring (or snorting) every time he breathed. All the sudden he unlatched and said "pig!" and made the pig-snort sound that we've taught him, then went right back to nursing. What a crazy guy!

Third thing: My prefolds have been smelling very strongly like ammonia as soon as Gavin urinates and seem to be giving him a diaper rash. I don't think it's just his urine, because when we've used disposables it smells fine and I don't think he gets the rash. I remember reading (a year ago or more?) that it might be caused by a buildup of detergent in the prefolds, and possibly using white vinegar in the wash to help get rid of this problem, but I'm not exactly sure how to do it. To any of you who have had this problem, what did you do? If you used vinegar, how did you do it? (i.e., what type of cycle did you use, how much vinegar, how many cycles did you have to run until it worked, etc.)

*Yes, I can count. No, I didn't forget to write the first thing. Caltech was quirky. Sometimes I revert. Sorry to all of you who have to put up with it.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I usually use white vinegar every time...about 1/3 cup, in the rinse cycle. [I do a cold quick wash w/ baking soda, then a heavy duty hot wash w/ detergent, then an extra rinse. Vinegar goes in the rinse of the hot wash.] My prefolds have managed to stay pretty clean. The bum genius inserts on the other hand can definitely reek w/ ammonia. "Stripping" them with Dawn, then a very occasional bleaching, and hanging them in the sun have helped the microfiber inserts smell better. Good luck!

E said...

Laura told me to use hot water only (no soap)---and wash x times until they don't stink again. It took 5 cycles or so, I think.

COURTNEY said...

Have a wonderful time in Georgia! Happy Thanksgiving :) xoxo