Friday, August 1, 2008

Vocabulary

I realized the other night (as I was trying to fall asleep and failing) that I could count 17 words that Gavin says off the top of my head. So, I thought maybe I should try to write down a list of the words he says currently, especially since it's almost his one-year birthday and I will probably enjoy reading next year about what he was doing at this time this year. So, here we go:

Recognizable words (26):
mama
daddy
baby
duck
dog
bread
shoe
Amy
Lexi
grandma (ma-mah)
grandpa (bam-pah)
Mimi
Papa
apple (a-puh)
bubble
diaper (by-puh)
bath
door
bird
lock/unlock
clock
book
ball
no
up
uh-oh

Not-so-recognizable words, but at least I've figured out what he means (5):
water (bah-puh, sounds almost the same as apple)
car (kkkkk)
key (kkkkk, sounds the same as car, currently)
hat (mostly not making any sound with his mouth open like he wants to say hhhh)
hot (haaaaa - all breath, no vocal cords)

Has said these at least once or twice but aren't a part of his working vocabulary (3):
avocado (ah-do)
cherry (cheh-hee)
turtle (tuh-tul)

He also does a few signs, but since he's been so verbose lately and learning new words so easily, I didn't want to distract him with doing lots of signs instead of words (since the whole point of the signs is to eventually get to the words). Currently he signs milk, more, eat, water, music, all done and hat (music is his own made-up sign, which is his version of dancing).

1 comment:

Katie said...

So Cute! Go, Gavin!
This is similar to Rachel's early vocabulary :). (Now, of course, she just won't stop talking). Yay!